February 25, 2008

Academy Awards Recap

In the aftermath of the WGA strike, last night's Academy Awards was full of the glitz and glamour we've been craving. Host Jon Stewart kicked off the ceremony by saying, "tonight we look beyond the dark days to focus on happier fare... this year's slate of Oscar-nominated psychopathic killer movies." And those "psychopathic killer movies" sure did slash their way through the competition. No Country For Old Men won four awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, while There Will Be Blood won two. Sunday night also marked Oscar's 80th birthday, and according to Stewart, "makes him now automatically the front-runner for the Republican nomination."

As expected, Daniel Day-Lewis claimed his second Oscar for Best Actor.


And Javier Bardem won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as, what people are calling, the scariest movie villain ever.


I was so happy for those two! As for the Actress categories, the winners were a big shock! Marion Cotillard beat out Julie Christie for Best Actress, while Tilda Swinton beat double-nominee Cate Blanchett for the Best Supporting prize. Check out press-room photos of the winners below:





Probably one of the most talked about moments of the night happened before the show, on the E! News red carpet, when Gary Busey terrified Jennifer Garner during an interview with Ryan Seacrest. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you have to see it for yourself. Click HERE. And just when you thought the incident couldn’t get any more entertaining, Gary talked to Ryan this morning on his radio show and called him, "an innocent champion of honesty." Whatever that means? Check out the interview HERE.

And speaking of the red carpet, there was even more red than usual this year. Heidi Klum, Katherine Heigl, Anne Hathaway, Miley Cyrus, Hellen Mirren, Julie Christie, and Ruby Dee all wore red dresses! My favorite was Heidi Klum's Haute Couture by John Galliano gown.


My other favorite red carpet dresses were:

One of Broadway's biggest stars, Kristin Chenoweth, wore a beautiful Armani Privé gown, and was my favorite look of the night.


Jennifer Garner looked fabulous in a black Oscar de la Renta.


The coolest girl in the world, Cameron Diaz, wore a pink Dior by John Galliano.


Hilary Swank looked glamorous in Atelier Versace.


Although some people didn't like it, I loved Jessica Alba's purple Marchesa gown. The feathers are so Carrie Bradshaw.


And apparently I have a thing for feathers, because I loved Penelope Cruz, who wore a gown designed by the King of Fashion, Karl Lagerfeld, just for her!


As for the guys, almost all of them went for the old Hollywood look and wore bow ties. Check out George Clooney (making history by bringing girlfriend Sarah Larson) and Johnny Depp with his leading lady, Vanessa Paradis.



However, I think Javier Bardem and Harrison Ford (who brought Calista Flockhart, his girlfriend of seven years) were the best dressed. But I'm biased. I love them!!!



... I'm so sad Oscar night (and awards season) is over. Plus, I did horrible on my scorecard. Oh well, I'm going to start making my predictions for next year and hope that I do better.

No comments: