March 16, 2008

Livin' For The City

The week in review...

On Monday, March 10th, Madonna took the stage at New York's famed Waldorf-Astoria Hotel to accept her induction into Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And only Justin Timberlake, her newest musical partner, was worthy enough to introduce her.



First off, why did I have to arrive in New York City on the 11th and not the 10th? I so would have been camped outside of this event all day, waiting to catch a glimpse of these stars. And I must say, just when I thought Justin couldn't get any sexier, he does!!!

On Tuesday, my cousin and I went to see the new Broadway musical In The Heights, and we thought it was amazing! I would highly recommend it, because it's something that Broadway has never seen before. The hip-hop/rap/Latino music is so fresh and new. I don't think I can wait until June 3rd to get the Original Cast Recording, I need the album NOW!


I took the below picture from my original seat, but after intermission I was able to move up near the front of the balcony and had a much better view.


And, after the show, I told it's creator and star, Lin-Manuel Miranda, that there needed to be a dance floor in the audience, because I could barley sit still. He said they should do it like the Mama Mia revival, that apparently has audiences dancing up and down the aisles.

I hope he wins a Tony! And, I can promise you I'll be seeing In The Heights again.

On Wednesday, I went to see a taping of the Late Show. It was very exciting, and I've always wanted to go! David Letterman was so funny (except for when he made a joke about Applebee's, the official NYC hangout of my family and friends). Obviously, David had a lot to say about New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer and his involvement in the Emperor's Club VIP prostitution ring, but my favorite portion of the show, as always, was the Bush bashing "Great Moments in Presidential Speeches!"


The beautiful Charlize Theron was the celebrity guest, and I waited outside for around an hour before the show, with about 25 paparazzi, so that I could meet her. But, unfortunately she was late, and I had to enter the theatre before she arrived.



Oh well. I was only 8 rows away from her in the audience, and it was great to see her that close.

And, this is an interesting story: When I went to meet up with my cousin, as she got off work, I ran into... Snoop Dogg. He was on his way to a CD signing. I took a great video, but I didn't have time to snap any pictures. That just proves that anything can happen, at any time, in New York City.

On Thursday, I won the lottery for front row Young Frankenstein tickets! I'm probably the biggest Will & Grace fan you'll ever meet, and I went specifically to see Megan Mullally (who played Karen Walker), so I knew if anyone was going to win those tickets it was going to be me. And, OMG, I was so excited to win them!


The show was fantastic! It was done on a really grand scale, with huge sets, pyrotechnics, great dance numbers, and incredible costumes! And, it was hilarious! I don't think I ever stopped laughing or smiling. And being in the front row was a really awesome experience. Before the show started, I tried to sneak a photo of the curtain from my seat, but I was too close to capture it all (as seen below).


I was surprised at how good Desperate Housewives star Roger Bart was in the role of Frederick Frankenstein (who, I swear, was looking at me the whole show), and I loved both Sutton Foster (Inga) and Christopher Fitzgerald (Igor). But, of course, my favorite was Megan Mullally, who played the rich and snobby Elizabeth (who was much like Karen Walker). As soon as she walked on stage I had tears streaming down my face. It was so surreal to see her, and she was excellent! And, her first song, "Please Don't Touch Me," was one of the highlights.

And that pretty much concludes the best moments of my time in the city. Of course, the first thing that I did when I got home was rush to my computer to watch the new animated Britney Spears video, for "Break The Ice!" Now, I would much rather see Miss Spears herself strutting it as the "Toxic" inspired villain, but I did enjoy the video. It was innovative, and I give Britney credit for trying something new.


And, after watching that, I caught myself up on American Idol. I loved the new stage, the new format (with the audience phone-call questions), and most of the performances. But I'm not sure I like the idea that the top 11 will continue to sing from the Lennon-McCartney Songbook for a second week in a row.

Cheers!

No comments: