April 15, 2008

Cynthia Nixon Beats Breast Cancer


It’s not often that a celebrity’s private life stays private. However, a year and a half ago, "Sex and the City" co-star Cynthia Nixon was diagnosed with breast cancer, and she successfully kept it to herself.

"I didn't really want to make it public while I was going through it,” Cynthia told “Nightline’s” Cynthia McFadden. “I didn't want paparazzi at the hospital, that kind of thing."

After the "Sex and the City" series wrapped, Nixon won a Tony award and was starring in the off-Broadway play "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" when she received the news.

"I felt scared," Cynthia said. "I thought, 'Oh, I don't want this to be happening.' I was very cognizant of if it's going to happen, this is the best way for it to happen, that it's found so early and we can just get right on it."

Breast cancer was a subject "Sex and the City" tackled long before Nixon's diagnosis. Cynthia said she believes the show handled the story of one character's cancer "beautifully."

Now doing well, Cynthia will team up with Susan G. Komen for the Cure(R) as an Ambassador. Speaking openly about her own diagnosis, she will help the global breast cancer organization reach millions with critical breast health messages, including the importance of early detection.

No comments: