October 16, 2008

Equus Weekend

On Saturday, October 18th, I experienced an amazing day in the city! That afternoon I became "BFF's" with Katie Holmes' driver who gave my family and I the VIP treatment when it came to meeting Katie at the stage door after All My Sons. To our delight, she was one of the nicest celebrities we've ever met! And, she's just as beautiful in person, but much smaller than one would imagine. We also met John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest and Patrick Wilson.





Later that evening we rushed to the Broadhurst Theatre to see EQUUS, and OMG was it thrilling! When the light's went down, and the eiry music started to play, my cousin grabbed my hand as we waiting for Daniel to appear. And, when he did, it was as if the earth shifted. Seriously, it was a monumental experience!

I was on the edge of my seat from the beginning of the play to the end. It was thrilling, striking, and utterly disturbing. Not for one minute did I think of Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, but instead a highly psychotic boy with a violent fascination. He is so brave to take on that role.

Richard Griffiths was just as good, and I expect he'll get a Tony nomination. Daniel is the draw, but Richard carries the show.

And, because I know everyone's curious, the nude scene wasn't bad at all. As expected, it came at the absolute climax of the production, during a scene that had me crying and left me shaken. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. But the play was very sexual, and a bit too much for my mother.

That brings me to the stage door. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. There were hundreds of people on one side of the street, hundreds of people on the other side of the street, police patrolling on horseback, and tons of security.



Needless to say, I did not meet "the one," but I have until February to do so. There was about three rows of people in front of me, but from what I could see he was very chatty and very nice.

This is the best video capture I got:


It's a bit blurry, but it'll have to do for now.

I did get Richard's autograph though.




Update: Here's a cool promo video of EQUUS footage!

No comments: